Search Moody's Musings

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Winds of Change


The only constant is change, right?

Changes I've been through lately:

-I went vegetarian, suffered food poisoning from deviled eggs a week later, and became vegan instead. Although I do feel compassion for animals, I don't believe it's morally wrong to eat meat. I feel it's morally wrong to abuse animals the way our meat industry does, and I believe eating meat from such animals causes physical and even psychological harm (because hormones that affect our brains are in the meat, including the chemicals of terror and pain, which the animals release into their muscles in the last traumatic moments before the slaughter,) which inspired me to finally give up on the last of the meat I was eating. But it was the food poisoning that killed eggs and dairy for me. Now I can't even smell meat or eggs, or think about milk or cheese, without shuddering and retching a bit. So, long story short, my body told me I don't need animal products anymore, and that eating animal products was hurting me, and I chose to listen to it.

-I moved from an incredibly stressful situation into a astoundingly peaceful one. I went from a house of strangers where my job was to make sure no one knew a toddler lived there while desperately trying to scrape up enough money to cover the bedroom we called home...to accepting a surprising invitation to live with Aiden's father and his girlfriend, and her family. Written like that, it sounds like drama just waiting to explode...but there has been so little tension in the last three weeks since the move! I feel like I lost a hundred pounds. I only lost twenty, which is still awesome, by the way, but the point is I feel so much lighter, more peaceful, joyful, and I can honestly say that I love my life. Aiden loves it here too...he's much more confident, independent, social, talkative, and just plain happy.

-I'm supported in my goals of making a living with my spiritual and crafty pursuits. And not just in word! My housemate actively comes up with ideas of ways I can further my career, recommends me to friends, and is paying for me to vend at an upcoming pagan gathering that I thought I was going to miss for the first time in four years.

-I'm living with someone who likes and respects me. That hasn't happened since the early years with Keith! lol We're compatible. I met her New Year's Day 2011, and since that time, she's taken me to two pagan festivals (two more coming up in the next three weeks,) a community ritual, we've had an impromptu private ritual, two karaoke parties, a community picnic...she likes my vegan cooking and eats my leftovers! No one ever ate my leftovers before! lol

-I have learned SO MUCH about cooking in the last three weeks, just from going vegan and being determined to make delicious food for the whole family. I have learned so much about nutrition, culinary theory, how to intuitively season a meal that turns out great every time, new ways of cooking grains, beans, and vegetables (and even fruit, but I haven't tried that yet.) I LOVE roasted brussel sprouts and asparagus! I used to hate both of them, but roasting with a little bit of oil and salt makes them sweet and luscious! And my body loves being vegan. My mood has been so stable and peaceful, and I have more energy than I can remember ever having before. I didn't even notice that I don't need an afternoon nap anymore, even when I stay up late and get up early. Before we moved, I was so irritable and exhausted all the time...it's like I'm revived by being here and living this way.

-I get to sing! No one minds! They sing along! WHOO!

-People actually help me with Aiden! I got to go to Busch Gardens with my friends, and Aiden was fine with his father! My housemate takes him with her twice a week so I can write!

I have access to a car every day. My contributions to our home are appreciated. My creativity is both appreciated and encouraged, and even inspires my housemate's creativity. I'm truly part of the family. I could go on and on about how different my life is now. Actually, I'm not sure what's the same...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going great for you, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just learned that you have a blog, cool! I'm glad that 2011 has brought so many blessings and hope that things continue to improve even more.

    Brightest Blessings.

    ReplyDelete